Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: "Howard Coles Jr." <hcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:24:42 -0600
On Thursday 21 November 2002 07:10 pm, Rick Reumann wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:02:41 -0600
>
> "Howard Coles Jr." <hcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You could set it up that way, and mount the fat32 partition as
> > /download or whatever in Linux, and d: in XP.
> >
> > Just make sure you allot enough for Linux to have a separate swap
> > partition, this could either be in an extended partition or primary.
>
> Thanks for the info. Do I actually need to designate this swap
> partition using partition magic or will the suse installation do this
> for me when I install on the fat32 partition? If not, how much should I
> alot for a swap partition?

No, when you shrink the XP partition it will leave empty space. Leave it
empty from PM's view point and then install Linux. SuSE will come up with
what it thinks is a good idea for partitioning, but I have usually had to go
in and change it.
The only two partitions you HAVE to create to install SuSE are the swap and /
(or root) partitons. Then various Linux people have varying ideas as to how
it should be split up from there.

Oh, and just a tip, when you reply, just reply to the list, otherwise I get
two replies, ;-) Most mail front ends have a "reply to list" feature, it
just might be hidden.
--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

"The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding to God revealing, and
the product of that is the obedience of the will to God commanding."
Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5