RE: [SLE] How to get rid of ide-scsi?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:28:11 +0100 (CET)

The 02.11.21 at 09:05, Berge, Harry ten wrote:

> ide-scsi is only needed for cd-recording. As I mentioned earlier this month,
> our great friend L. Torvalds made a change to the 2.5.x kernel where scsi
> emulation is not needed anymore.

That change has been requested for a long time, and mentioned at he
homepage of the cdrecord tools.

Excerpt from the cdrtools-1.10/README.ATAPI file

+++
People often ask me why do you depend on ATAPI-SCSI emulation, why don't you
support generic IDE?

Well first a statement: There is no single IDE burner out!
Even a CD-ROM cannot be used decently if you use only IDE commands.
Opening/closing the door, playing audio and similar things
cannot be done using IDE commands - you will need SCSI commands
to do this. But how do we do this with a drive that uses an IDE
interface?

The ATAPI standard describes method of sending SCSI commands over IDE
with some small limitations to the "real" SCSI standard.
For this reason ATAPI-SCSI emulation is the native method of
supporting ATAPI devices. Just imagine that IDE is one of many SCSI
transport mechanisms.
[...cut]
NOTICE:

With the newer 2.1.x or 2.2.x kernels it seems to be possible to run
SCSI/ATAPI hostadapter emulation and generic IDE at the same time by
selectively telling the kernel what to use for which drive. However,
this would not be needed if the Linux SCSI CD-ROM driver would be more
up to date and supports standard conforming drives.
++-

> This change is also applied to the cdrecord
> software. In short, cdrecord doesn't need ide-scsi anymore. I suppose that
> when SuSE 8.2 comes out, all the cd burn GUI's will also have this patch
> implemented, and the days for scsi emulation are (finally) over...

Nice :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson