Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Tom Emerson <osnut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:59:38 -0800
On Thursday 21 November 2002 17:39, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> My opinion as a long time Partition Magic user is to:
>
> 1) Use partition magic to do all of your partition setups. Don't let the
> SuSE install do anything but format them.
>
> 2) Make partitions for /boot, /home, swap, and '/' (four)
>
> 3) The purpose for /home being separate is that you can 'carry it
> forward' to the next version of <whatever distro> of linux you install.

this is a kind of "yeah, what he said" post, but also attempting to point out
the probably-obvious: the point on #3 is the next time you do #1, you DO NOT
want to "format" the "/home" partition you built in #2

[see also my response on naming partitions, though perhaps a better thread
topic for both of these is "partition types, sizes, and uses" :) ]

Tom