Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Ole Kofoed Hansen <ole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:17:15 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Rick Reumann wrote:

> My new computer is coming tomorrow pre-installed with XP professional.
> It's a 40GB hard drive and I want to keep XP installed on one partition
> and put Suse 8.1 professional on another partition as fat32.

I hope you don't mean what you are saying here. You really do not want to
run Linux from a fat32 partition.

> I'm pretty
> sure partition magic should be able to do this, but what about
> partitioning off a 3rd partition that is fat32 where both XP and linux
> could share things like mp3s from? Is it easy to set up three partitions
> like that or should I not even bother? I was thinking have 15GB Linux,
> 5GB shared fat32, and the other 20GB kept with XP on it?

A shared fat32 partition is a good idea. The actual sizes of your
partitions will depend heavily on the way you use the different OSes.
I can't see why it should be any more difficult to set up 3 partitions
than 2.

Like someone else on the list mentioned, you also want a swap partition.

Regards

Ole