Re: [SLE] wireless on windows 8.1
On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 10:38, Bob wrote:
> I am pulling my hair out over this. I first tried the 520+ series but I
> found out there was no opensource drivers yet and does not support the new
> chipset. So I have install D-Link DWL -520 wireless PCI Adapter. I do see
> the card uses the Prism chipset. I think that is good? The computer detected
> the card wonderfully. But....I am having trouble from there.
>
> First I went modified /etc/sysconfig/eth0 and changed wireless='no' to
> wireless='yes' I then changed the wireless settings
> operating mode = ' manage'
> networkname (ESSID) = 'default' (this is what the router is set to by
> default for at the present.)
>
> Next I did a rcnetwork reboot. I get the following error:
> ifup-wireless: command 'iwconfig eth0 mode managed' returned
> ifupwireless: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06): Set failed
> device eth0 operation not supported.
>
> I get several of these types of errors and, of course, the card does not talk
> to the router. I looked through the knowledge base and the archived mail
> list and did not see anything that leads me to a solution. I am sure I am
> overlooking something.
>
> I am really feeling stupid about this and hate to ask, but can anyone please
> lend a guiding hand. Thanks very much.

Well, bearing in mind that this is strictly the blind leading the
blind...my track record with WIFI networks is not good. I'm writing this
on a SuSE 8.0 laptop which is using a wireless NIC, but without any form
of encryption (not good). I've yet to get it to work with encryption
switched on, and I can't get either of our laptops to connect from
Windows (XP and Me).

I suspect the file you really want to look at is
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts - set up you WLAN connection details in there,
and the connection should be established automatically. The IP number
and so on can be set up in YaST2. I did find it was wise to disable the
ethernet NIC in YaST2 too avoid routing problems, but if you use both
you could script around this.

wireless.opts is well commented, so I won't explain it any further here.

--
Geoff Beaumont
Geoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx