logfiles suddenly not being archived anymore on suse 6.2
  • From: "Heupink, Mourik Jan C." <Heupink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:35:00 +0100
Dear list.

I have recently discovered that on my suse 6.2 system the log rotate
mechanism has stopped working, meaning that my httpd.access_log is now
really big. I would like the rotate to start working again. What could
be wrong?

log file is /var/log/httpd.access_log, root/root, perm 644
it's also stated in /etc/logfiles as:

/var/log/httpd.access_log +4096k 644
(which are the default values)

yet, it does not compress. Even when I run the /etc/cron.daily/aaa_base
by hand, it does not display any errors, yet the file has not been
compressed. root also doesn't get any messages from the script. though
it does seem to be running for a while, and the system is quite buzy,
while the script runs.

What could be wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance.

Kindly yours,