wireless on windows 8.1
  • From: Bob <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:38:12 -0800
I am pulling my hair out over this. I first tried the 520+ series but I
found out there was no opensource drivers yet and does not support the new
chipset. So I have install D-Link DWL -520 wireless PCI Adapter. I do see
the card uses the Prism chipset. I think that is good? The computer detected
the card wonderfully. But....I am having trouble from there.

First I went modified /etc/sysconfig/eth0 and changed wireless='no' to
wireless='yes' I then changed the wireless settings
operating mode = ' manage'
networkname (ESSID) = 'default' (this is what the router is set to by
default for at the present.)

Next I did a rcnetwork reboot. I get the following error:
ifup-wireless: command 'iwconfig eth0 mode managed' returned
ifupwireless: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06): Set failed
device eth0 operation not supported.

I get several of these types of errors and, of course, the card does not talk
to the router. I looked through the knowledge base and the archived mail
list and did not see anything that leads me to a solution. I am sure I am
overlooking something.

I am really feeling stupid about this and hate to ask, but can anyone please
lend a guiding hand. Thanks very much.

bob