Re: [SLE] SuSE machine haging with blinking leds
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:13:01 +0100 (CET)

The 02.11.13 at 19:51, Doug Glenn wrote:

> > So... who has info about what those signals mean?
> >
> > We are blindingly beating the bush otherwise. :-(
>
> I have this error as well, and I have seen it one time before in a
> previous Linux incarnation (2.2 kernel days) that turned out to be
> related to the power management. Exact same symptoms, which is why I am
> pursuing the APM/ACPI code angle that is new to this kernel.

Yes, I had that problem in suse 7.3 with kernel 2.4.4 or 10, I don't
remember. APIC (not acpi) would bring the machine down instantly, but not
when I also enabled ACPI at the same time: unfortunately, ACPI was very
incomplete.

So I disabled APIC, and it seemed to be related to the kde login program,
kdm, I disabled it and used gdm instead. With those changes, freezes were
scarce.

Now, with suse 8.1 I have both APIC and ACPI enabled (have a look at
http://www.suse.de/en/private/products/suse_linux/i386/acpi.html, it is
very interesting), and seems to work well, except that I had three crashes
(one in text mode using golded).

Another suspect are the nvidia drivers: I'm sticking to the open source
version for the moment, at least while I don't install flightgear :-)

It has been said here to try to mount reiserfs partitions with the option
"barrier=none", but I have not found documentation on what does that
mean/do. Interestingly, when my machine crash, the hd led is on
continously.

> Doug
> PS: I did not get this error with an early Gentoo 2.4.19 kernel (1.2
> release), but it was not merged into at that time (About the same time
> that 8.0 was released)

If it is related to apic/acpi, it makes sense.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson