Re: [SLE] OpenOffice in 8.0 (was [SLE] Time Has Come For Microsoft Settlement(OT))
  • From: Darrell Cormier <linuxdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:56:39 -0600

Damon Register wrote:

> I hope I don't get flamed for hijacking.
>
> Damian Ohara wrote:
>
>> Damon,
>>
>> Just download it from openoffice.org.
>> Much as I like SuSE I'm not going to buy 8.1 pro just for 1 app.
>> Everything else works just as I need on 8.0.
>

> So I finally decided to give it a try. I just finished downloading.
> The installation instructions said there are two phases and I completed
> phase 1 with no trouble. I tried to do phase 2 in a user account but
> it says
> there is no Java runtime which seems strange to me. I typed the command
> which java and I get /usr/lib/java/bin/java

I was able to get OpenOffice to recognize the java that is on my system.
I don't remember if I loaded another version of java or not. The
installation is looking for the jre (Java Runtime Environment). On my
system it is located at:
/usr/lib/SunJava2-1.3.1/jre
The Open Office install then showed this as rcognized and then continued
and completed the installation. I have not had any other problems.

You might do a `locate jre |grep java` and see what you get.

D.C.

p.s. I am running SuSE 8.0 and OpenOffice 1.0.1