Re: [SLE] Manual Installation Procedures
  • From: Harry G <harrycg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:17:15 -0500
On Thu November 7 2002 1:08 pm, Graham Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 03:51 am, Fancher, Mark (GEAE) wrote:
<snipage>

> Just a tip.
> Install a package called "checkinstall" from your SuSE distrib. This makes
> the package you want to install into an RPM and then installs the rpm. This
> allows you to delete/upgrade the package at any time thereafter.
>
> Instead of doing a "make install" you just run checkinstall and your off
> and away.

I just installed checkinstall from my 8.0 disks, and ran checkinstall. I got
the following error:

# checkinstall

checkinstall 1.5.1, Copyright 2001 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
This software is released under the GNU GPL.

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist.
Should I create a default set of package docs? [y]: y

Preparing package documentation...OK

*** No known documentation files were found. The new package
*** won't include a documentation directory.

Installing with "make install"...

/var/tmp/checkinstall.JqDitg/installscript.sh: make: command not found

**** Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Cleaning up...OK

Bye.

I don't understand why it didn't find make. Is it not installed by default by
Suse 8.0?

Harry G

< Previous Next >