Re: [SLE] Near-Line Storage
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <SPowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:35:00 -0600
Hello, Graham.

Wow, I thought this thread was long dead.

I did find mtx quite by accident on the Tolis Group website. They're
the BRU people. I then started checking the Amanda docs, and found that
Amanda has links to mtx to control these devices.

I did install mtx (it comes on the SuSE CDs) and was able to control
the device very easily.

I did get one other response to this originally that alluded to the
fact that the xfs people might be able to help out with the near line
storage side of this question. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to
pursue that side of it yet.

Thanks,
Stuart.

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:25 am, Stuart Powell wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I have recently acquired a new (old) server that came with a Compaq
DLT
> Mini Library. The library has room for 15 tapes, and has a pair of
35/70
> DLT drives inside it, along with a bar code reader (which I will
probably
> never use). Having spoken to a Compaq support person, it seems that
the
> drive is a Manatee or Manatee 2, if that helps. A search for this on
the
> Compaq site yields no results, although there is a reference to it on
the
> Arcserve site listing it as a supported device for their products.
>
> I am trying to decide which avenue to follow for this device. I
would like
> to either use it as a back-up device or as a near-line storage
device. If
> it could do both simultaneously, that would be awesome, but I think
that's
> unlikely.
>
> My question is, does anyone know of any freely available utilities
that
> would help with setting the device up as near-line storage ? I have
found
> a few commercial offerings out on Google, and Freshmeat drew a blank,
too.
> I can't spend a great deal of money on this as it is a home machine.
I'd
> like to use it get our large collection of MPEG and MP3 files off the
hard
> drives and free up some space.
>
> Thanks,
> Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I know nothing about autochangers but found this on Freshmeat.
MTX - SCSI Media Changer and Backup Device Control
http://mtx.badtux.net/

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,