Re: [SLE] newbie probs
  • From: John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:44:47 GMT
In a previous message, OEREN@xxxxxxx wrote:

> - I have one dvd drive and one cd-writer. My dvd drive can play audio
> cd's, but my cd-writer can't. Why?

Probably because, to play audio CDs, you need a cable connecting the drive
to the soundcard. I'd guess that only your DVD drive has such a cable.

Windows gets around this by reading audio CDs as data and processing that
data internally, but I don't know of any linux players that do this. Anyone?

> - cd drives must be manually mounted. Why?

That's the linux way of things - any drive has to be mounted before it can
be read. You can install software to automount drives, though - the SuSE CDs
contain autofs, which does this. I'm not sure about SuSE7.1, however -
search the CDs for it.

> - How can i watch vcd's & dvd's ?

Using the relevant software :-)

Try MPlayer, Xine or Ogle. Each has its proponents, and each seems to work.
See which you can get rpms for...

HTH,

John
--