Re: [SLE] Manual Installation Procedures
  • From: jalal <the_jalal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 23:51:34 +0100

What you are doing is OK, but here is how I do it:

In my home directory I have a 'download' directory and a 'src' directory.

* download .tgz file to downloads
* cd to ~/src
* tar tzf ../downloads/somename.tgz
(this gives a listing of the files and whether they have a directory
structure)
* if needed, create a directory and move into it.
* tar xzf ../downloads/somename.tgz
* cd somename
* ./configure
* make
* su -c "make install"

(Best not to be root unless *really* necessary).

After playing around with the resulatant program to check that everything works you can either:
make clean
which will remove the generated files and leave the source
or:
rm -r src/somename/
which will remove everything.

Doing it this way all my downloads are in one place and so are all my source files.

HTH
jalal

Fancher, Mark (GEAE) wrote:

All:

Another newbie question.

When I manually install a program, I use the following procedure:

* Download the program.tar.gz to my desktop
* Open bash and cd to the desktop
* logon as superuser using 'su'
* gunzip program.tar.gz
* tar program.tar
* cd /program directory
* ./configure
* make
* make install

I wanted to find out if this was the correct procedure. I'm curious about two
things:

* Does it matter where you put the .tar.gz file to start with? Is the
desktop OK?
* After you ./configure, make and make install, can you delete the program
directory created by tar? I'm thinking that the program is migrated to the
proper places after ./configure, make, make install.

Mark

--

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E

< Previous Next >