Re: [SLE] newbie. installed dlink router & lost internet conectivity
  • From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:40:42 -0500
On Thursday 07 November 2002 12:47, gclinux wrote:
> hi all, i just installed a dlink 704p router, now
> konqueror won't connect to the internet. i'm using
> suse7.1. the router works because my wife's windoze
> partition is able to surf the web. in suse when i
> ping the router i get an ongoing reply to the ping
> request that doesn't end till i close the window.
> i'm not having any luck searching the man pages. any
> hints/help with what settings i need to change ( in
> simple - easy to follow newbie language) would be
> greatly appreciated tyia

Are you able to reach the D-Link's onboard
configuration web pages?
http://192.168.0.1

Are you able to ping beyond the router, to your ISP?

If you haven't already done so, you need to visit the
D-Link box's Admin page, log in as admin, and set it
for pppoe (for ADSL or cable modem), or set it to talk
with your dial-up modem (and the relevant protocol to
connect with your ISP) if that's what you use. It will
all be in there as choosable options. Just about the
only thing that you need to actually write will be the
IP address of the ISP server.

Once the D-Link knows the IP address of your service
provider's server, and the protocol that is needed to
connect (such as the aforementioned pppoe for ADSL
connections or for most/many cable modems), then
it should just work.

If there's still a problem, especially if you can surf
SOME pages, but not others, then you may also need
to adjust the MTU (Maximum Transmissable Unit) setting.
That one is slightly trickier, because the DI-704P does
not give you a link from its internal "home" page. You
have to know that the page is there.

The procedure is to log into the D-Link, as admin, then
adjust the page address ... such as:

http://192.168.0.1/sysp.htm

(if I'm remembering correctly).

There'll be two settings on that page. Ignore the
other, and try changing the MTU value for pppoe.
I've had varying luck with values as low as 1400,
and as high as 1492.
One works for "everthing else", and one works
for my company's VPN connection, so I switch
back and forth a lot.

Anyway, once you've changed the value, you'll
see some text in red that says the value has
been changed, but will not take effect until
you reboot. By happy coincidence, there's a
Reboot button on that page, that restarts the
DI-704P. It takes a few seconds while the LEDs
flicker, and then you are in business.

Hope that helps.

/kevin (somewhere in Ottawa)
--
** DIR-ty DEEDS, and they're DONE dirt cheap. (Sing it
with me, now...)