Re: [SLE] Manual Installation Procedures
  • From: Donn aka N5XWB <dwash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 12:22:26 -0600
"Fancher, Mark (GEAE)" wrote:

> All:
>
> Another newbie question.
>
> When I manually install a program, I use the following procedure:
>
> * Download the program.tar.gz to my desktop
> * Open bash and cd to the desktop
> * logon as superuser using 'su'
> * gunzip program.tar.gz
> * tar program.tar
> * cd /program directory
> * ./configure
> * make
> * make install
>
> I wanted to find out if this was the correct procedure. I'm curious about two
> things:
>
> Does it matter where you put the .tar.gz file to start with? Is the
> desktop OK?
Root (su) is not always needed but advisable.
X Not really. I avoid desktops because they use resources
and slows things down.
However, they are handy if you are going to track where
things are in a second xterm.
(EX /usr/man/man#/file# or /usr/share/man/man#/file#.gz)

Most problem come from the source defining directory and
file locations incorrectly.
Before you ./configure it is a real good idea to check all
of the variables set by configure (./configure --help) (as I
remember). I make a script that contains all of the
variables for SuSE. That way if something fails I don't
need to retype them.

File is called conf-it
---------------------------
#!/bin/sh
./configure \
--exec_prefix='/usr' \
--prefix='/usr' \
--srcdir= \
--target='i586-pc-linux-gnu' \
--x-includes='/usr/X11R6/include' \
--x-libraries='/usr/X11R6/lib' \
--bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin' \
--sbindir='${prefix}/sbin' \
--libexecdir='${prefix}/libexec' \
--datadir='${prefix}/share' \
--sysconfdir='/etc' \
--sharedstatedir='/usr/share' \
--localstatedir='/var' \
--libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib' \
--includedir='${prefix}/include' \
--oldincludedir='/usr/include' \
--infodir='${prefix}/share/info' \
--mandir='${prefix}/share/man'
-----------------------------------
I modify as needed.

> After you ./configure, make and make install, can you delete the program
> directory created by tar? I'm thinking that the program is migrated to the
> proper places after ./configure, make, make install.

Before you make install do "make -n install" and check for
problems.
It might be necessary to do "make -n install 1>install.pkg"
and then "less install.pkg" to confirm if everything is
correct (EX. /usr/doc/${package}is likely wrong for SuSE).

Remember to run "updatedb", "ldconfig" and "mandb" after you
install.

Yes you may delete all of the source file. However, I
always "make distclean" or "make clean" cd back one
directory the retar and bzip the confirgured program. That
way I can update and reinstall quickly if needed. SuSE is
good about staying on the leading edge of most software.
But if I have a kernel configuration that works - SAVE-it!

--
73 de Donn Washburn __ " http://www.hal-pc.org/~dwash "
Ham Callsign N5XWB / / __ __ __ __ __ __ __

< Previous Next >