Re: [SLE] Wine.
  • From: Curtis Rey <crrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:57:23 -0600
On Thursday 07 November 2002 10:04, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Running SuSE 8.1, and would haev wine to run too.
>
> I did set it up, but when I enter ALT F2, and writes wine, the wine icon
> starts up, but after a short, its gone, and no wine is starting up.
>
> Why that ??.
>
> Erik.

Example:
When using a fake windows (set up by wine) in a users directory
cd .wine/fake_windows/Program\ Files/14\ Degrees\ East/Fallout\ Tactics/
wine BOS.exe

Note the \ used in between certain directory names. This is how you handle
spaces between words in Linux, e.g. Fallout Tactics is entered as Fallout\
Tactics and likewise for 14 Degrees East as 14\ Degrees\ East. Enter
something like 14_Degrees_East won't work.

You can also do a couple of different things. Namely if you have a window
installation on another drive/partition you can mount the drive and the point
wine toward that drive as well as if you have it on another partitions you
can set win to read the partition.

Also you can setup windows within a wine installation in the
".wine/fake_windows" in you home directory to give you self a virtual windows
environment inside of Linux, do as I have done and just run programs out of a
wine installation. You also might want to check out a couple of other things
as well. There is WineX at www.transgaming.com (or get it a sourceforge)
used for gaming. Right now I have both and am having better luck with an
update version of the generic wine running games. And there are CrossOver
programs/plugins from www.codeweavers.com that are especially built to handle
stuff like M$ Office 97/2000 and Excel. I understand they work very very
well (providing you follow codeweavers installation instructions).

I understand the Codeweavers and The Wine Project are perhaps going to merge
code. This should make wine even more M$ friendly and support a wider range
of those evil M$ things to run on you machine.

Anyway, make sure you have it set up the right way, like have the drives in
the wine config matching you fstab and play around with cetain options like
"managed windows", "unmanaged windows", "Use DGA", "Double buffered desktop",
etc... Below is my config file to give you an idea. The wine site has a
fairly good support/FAQ as well:

[Drive A]
"Type" = "floppy"
"Path" = "/media/floppy"
"Label" = "/media/floppy"
"Device" = "/dev/fd0"

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/home/crrey/.wine/fake_windows"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "/home/crrey/.wine/fake_windows"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive D]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/C"
"Label" = "/windows/C"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive E]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/D"
"Label" = "/windows/D"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive F]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/E"
"Label" = "/windows/E"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive G]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/F"
"Label" = "/windows/F"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive H]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/G"
"Label" = "/windows/G"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive I]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/H"
"Label" = "/windows/H"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive J]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/I"
"Label" = "/windows/I"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive K]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/J"
"Label" = "/windows/J"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive L]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/K"
"Label" = "/windows/K"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive M]
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Path" = "/media/cdrom"
"Label" = "/media/cdrom"
"FS" = "win95"
"Device" = "/dev/sr1"

[Drive N]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/windows/M"
"Label" = "/windows/M"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive R]
"Path" = "/media/cdrecorder"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Device" = "/dev/sr0"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive X]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/tmp"
"Label" = "Tmp Drive"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive Y]
"Type" = "network"
"Path" = "${HOME}"
"Label" = "Home"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive Z]
"Type" = "network"
"Path" = "/"
"Label" = "Root"
"FS" = "win95"

[wine]
"Windows" = "C:\\Windows"
"System" = "C:\\Windows\\System"
"Temp" = "X:\\"
"Path" = "C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System;X:\\;Y:\\"
"GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv"
; Wine doesn't pass directory symlinks to Windows programs by default.
; Enabling this may crash some programs that do recursive lookups of a whole
; subdir tree in case of a symlink pointing back to itself.
;"ShowDirSymlinks" = "1"
"ShellLinker" = "wineshelllink"

# <wineconf>

; Be careful here, wrong DllOverrides settings have the potential
; to pretty much kill your setup.

[DllOverrides]
; default for all other dlls
"*" = "builtin, native, so"

[x11drv]
; Number of colors to allocate from the system palette
"AllocSystemColors" = "100"
; Use a private color map
"PrivateColorMap" = "N"
; Favor correctness over speed in some graphics operations
"PerfectGraphics" = "Y"
; Color depth to use on multi-depth screens
;;"ScreenDepth" = "16"
; Name of X11 display to use
;;"Display" = ":0.0"
; Allow the window manager to manage created windows
"Managed" = "Y"
; Use a desktop window of 640x480 for Wine
;;"Desktop" = "640x480"
; Use XFree86 DGA extension if present
; (make sure /dev/mem is accessible by you !)
"UseDGA" = "Y"
; Use XShm extension if present
"UseXShm" = "Y"
; Use XVidMode extension if present
"UseXVidMode" = "Y"
; Enable DirectX mouse grab
"DXGrab" = "Y"
; Create the desktop window with a double-buffered visual
; (useful to play OpenGL games)
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "Y"
; Code page used for captions in managed mode
; 0 means default ANSI code page (CP_ACP == 0)
"TextCP" = "0"
; Use this if you have more than one port for video on your setup
; (Wine uses for now the first 'input image' it finds).
;; "XVideoPort" = "43"
; Run in synchronous mode (useful for debugging X11 problems)
;;"Synchronous" = "n"

"Desktop" = "N"

[fonts]
;Read documentation/fonts before adding aliases
;See a couple of examples for russian users below
"Resolution" = "96"
"Default" = "-adobe-helvetica-"
"DefaultFixed" = "fixed"
"DefaultSerif" = "-adobe-times-"
"DefaultSansSerif" = "-adobe-helvetica-"

;; default TrueType fonts with russian koi8-r encoding
;"Default" = "-monotype-arial-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"
;"DefaultFixed" = "-monotype-courier new-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"
;"DefaultSerif" = "-monotype-times new roman-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"
;"DefaultSansSerif" = "-monotype-arial-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-koi8-r"
;; default cyrillic bitmap X fonts
;"Default" = "-cronyx-helvetica-"
;"DefaultFixed" = "fixed"
;"DefaultSerif" = "-cronyx-times-"
;"DefaultSansSerif" = "-cronyx-helvetica-"

[serialports]
"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"
"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"
"Com3" = "/dev/ttyS2"
"Com4" = "/dev/modem"

[parallelports]
"Lpt1" = "/dev/lp0"

[ppdev]
;; key: io-base of the emulated port
;; value : parport-device{,timeout}
;; timeout for auto closing an open device ( not yet implemented)
;"378" = "/dev/parport0"
;"278" = "/dev/parport1"
;"3bc" = "/dev/parport2"

[spooler]
"LPT1:" = "|lpr"
"LPT2:" = "|gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/tmp/fred -q -"
"LPT3:" = "/dev/lp3"

[ports]
;"read" = "0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0"
; "write" = "0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0"

[spy]
"Exclude" = "WM_SIZE;WM_TIMER;"

[registry]
;These are all booleans. Y/y/T/t/1 are true, N/n/F/f/0 are false.
;Defaults are read all, write to Home
; Global registries (stored in /etc)
"LoadGlobalRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; Home registries (stored in ~user/.wine/)
"LoadHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; Load Windows registries from the Windows directory
"LoadWindowsRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; TRY to write all changes to home registries
"WritetoHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; Registry periodic save timeout in seconds
; "PeriodicSave" = "600"
; Save only modified keys
"SaveOnlyUpdatedKeys" = "Y"

[Tweak.Layout]
;; supported styles are 'Win31'(default), 'Win95', 'Win98'
;; this has *nothing* to do with the windows version Wine returns:
;; use cmdline option --winver if you want that.
"WineLook" = "Win98"

[Console]
;"Drivers" = "tty"
;"XtermProg" = "nxterm"
;"InitialRows" = "25"
;"InitialColumns" = "80"
;"TerminalType" = "nxterm"

[Clipboard]
"ClearAllSelections" = "0"
"PersistentSelection" = "1"

; List of all directories directly contain .AFM files

[afmdirs]
"1" = "/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts"
"2" = "/usr/share/a2ps/afm"
"3" = "/usr/share/enscript"
"4" = "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
"5" = "/usr/lib/wine/afm"

[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

[ppd]
"generic" = "/usr/lib/wine/ppd/generic.ppd"

# </wineconf>

# Application dependent sections follow #

[AppDefaults\\_INS5576._MP\\x11drv]
; Lotus Notes R5 installer
; I'm quite not sure this will run on some other machine than mine, but it
; can't hurt
"Managed" = "N"
"Desktop" = "N"

[AppDefaults\\nlnotes.exe\\x11drv]
"Desktop" = "1280x1024"

[AppDefaults\\notes.exe\\DllOverrides]
"msvcrt" = "native"
"msvcrt40" = "native"
"crtdll" = "native"
"imagehlp" = "native"
"rnaph" = "native"

[AppDefaults\\nlnotes.exe\\DllOverrides]
"msvcrt" = "native"
"msvcrt40" = "native"
"crtdll" = "native"
"imagehlp" = "native"
"rnaph" = "native"

[AppDefaults\\nhldaemn.exe\\DllOverrides]
"msvcrt" = "native"
"msvcrt40" = "native"
"crtdll" = "native"
"imagehlp" = "native"
"rnaph" = "native"

Good Luck, and HTH. Curtis

--
Billboard Writer vs. Literature = Micorsoft vs. Computing,