Re: [SLE] mysql root permission denied
  • From: steve <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:34:55 +0000
On Thursday 07 November 2002 15:03, poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:36:24AM +0000, steve wrote:
> > Hi everyone. After a clean 8.1 install I do:
> > mysql_install_db
> > (no errors)
>
> Did you do
> mysql_install_db --user mysql
> ?
>
> Anyway, you shouldn't have done it in the first place since the init
> script /etc/init.d/mysql does that for you when you start it for the
> first time (rcmysql start).
>
> I don't know but there is a remote possibility that if you did things by
> hand you missed a step or did it in a different way than the system
> expects it. Starting mysql by the init script is all you need to do to
> get it running (and set the admin password as the init script tells you.
>
> BTW, a correct way to _initially_ set the password (i.e. while there
> is an empty password) is:
>
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'secret'
>
> After that, you need to use
>
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'anotherpassword'
>
> if you want to change it, and enter the current password on the tty.
> Everything else will give you the 'Access denied for user:
> 'root@localhost' message.
>
> Peter

Hi. Thanks. That did it. In other words following the (awful) mysql
documentation and actually doing what it says messes you up. Had I not done
the mysql_install_db first then it would have worked. I should have read the
readme_suse doc instead. Anyway, I've now got root access and can create
databases once more.