Re: [SLE] GTK?
  • From: Peter van Eck <pveck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:04:42 +0100
Be aware that gtk 2.0 requires glib2.0. Most packages/sources are written for glib 1.2.xx
glib 2.0 installs itself in complete different way then glib 1.2 . You can work around it but will have to
manually edit a lot of Makefiles and create a lot of sym links in case you're compiling from source of course.

So yes for the rpm's I would be very careful installing gtk 2.0 it probably won't work just like that.

Peter

James Ogley wrote:

Well, I suppose we could all recompile our OS from scratch just because one
program we want needs a couple of libs that nothing else on our system
touches. Or I suppose installing the entire Gnome2 suite to take advantage
of a single program is the safest choice.

Noone said he should do that

In this case, however, he wants to run one package, that package needs a few
libs from GTK2. If nothing else on his sytem requires GTK2 and they're only
being installed to support the package he does intend on running, I see
nothing wrong with forcing rpm to install those libs without their
dependencies.

Can anyone else spot what is wrong with this?

You install GTK-2 without it's dependencies being fulfilled, it is
liable not to work correctly, and the same goes for the one app he wants
to use that is GTK-2 based!

--
CChheecckk yyoouurr dduupplleexx sswwiittcchh..

< Previous Next >