Re: [SLE] who can telll me what CUPS is?
  • From: Glenn Holmer <gholmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:54:57 -0600
rex wrote:
Thibaut Cousin <cousin@xxxxxxxx> [2002-11-06 07:08]:

Oh, that's another good point with CUPS: you can configure and play with
the server very easily. Type "http://localhost:631"; in your browser,
login=root, and you have a web interface for the CUPS server. You can
restart queues, configure them, etc.

That would be nice but it doesn't work here. As both a user and as root it
fails.
Mozilla returns:
The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631

Konqueror returns:

An error occured while loading http://localhost:631:

Could not connect to host localhost (port 631)

I've seen this on occasion as well, and I have CUPS fully installed
and properly configured (for 4 printers, at work). This is on SuSE
8.1; the link works OK and then suddenly I get that error. "rccups
status" shows that the server is up and running. What should I try
to restart if I encounter this?

Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"You may think this is the finest pearl
But it's only cardboard balls, seamed in glue
Overwhelming technique; done through diligence"
-Captain Beefheart, "Best Batch Yet"