Re: [SLE] untangling X stuff
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:27:10 +1100
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:14 am, KMcLauchlan wrote:
> Group,
>
> In other messages, I have told how I somehow
> screwed-up my system (I was doing a big apt-get,
> with Synaptic in KDE3.0.3, SuSE8.0, when the
> locking screensaver activated, and when I returned
> from supper, my password no longer worked [on the
> screensaver], and I could not figure out how to do
> anything useful from the console that didn't kill
> X and my login, and when I shut down and re-started,
> KDM and GDM were no longer referenced and all I
> had was WindowMaker with many X-apps unusuable --
> as well as most K and most G apps).
>
> So, I've been trying stuff that I found here and
> there (Googling) about X, as well as suggestions
> that people have been offering to Tom N. and to
> other people with vaguely similar problems.
>
> Well, every time I try nearly anything, the response
> is something about Display :0.0 not being available,
> or similar.

SNIPPED

> /kevin

Kevin,

Looks like the easiest way out of the problem is to remove all of the KDE rpms
and reinstall from the SuSE 8.0 disks. It appears that you have a large
number of files missing and trying to identify which ones need to be
installed is not a task I would like to undertake.

I suggest that you stop booting into init 5 until you can manually start the
Xserver.

This can be done by using YAST --- System --- Runlevel editor.

If you can't start Yast in GUI mode try the following

Use <Ctrl> <Alt> F1 to switch to a terminal and login as root and run
init 1
which will place you in single user mode and will kill the Xserver. Then after
you re-login run
init 3
This will allow you to run 'startx' to start your Xserver. I suggest you use
another terminal window to run as a normal use. i.e. <Ctrl> <Alt> F2

The commands that I posted before using xinit has to be run from a terminal
window NOT an xterm as you already have the xserver running on display :0

If you want to start another xserver you can use the command
xinit /opt/kde3/bin/startkde -- :1
this will start a xserver using kde on display 0:1
or
xinit /usr/bin/X11/twm -- :1
will start twm on display 0:1

This will allow you to switch between two xservers by using <Ctrl> <Alt> F7 or
F8

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.
--
Regards,

Graham Smith