Please help with printing on my LAN
  • From: Chris Carlen <crobc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:16:17 -0800
Hi folks:

I am almost completed with migrating my home LAN and work computer to 8.1. the work computer was easy to set up printing, I just did a direct print to TCP port and put in the IP of the network printer.

But at home I have 2 Linux boxes on a LAN, one with a printer (hostname ting), and the other without (hostname tong). Of course, I want tong to be set up to print to ting.

On 7.3 I used the LPD forwarding queues and all that. It was tricky, but I got it to work.

Now with 8.1 and CUPS, I am stumped. I have done the following on the server:

Set up the printer for local printing as printer "lp". It works fine locally, on this machine.

In the "Printer administration for CUPS" window, went to "Advanced," and selected "CUPS full server installation." Then went to the "CUPS server settings" and added a browse address IP which is the IP of the other machine, tong that I want to access this server.

Then set /root permiossions to allow from the IP of tong. Also set permissions of /printers to allow from the IP of tong. /Admin has only local permissions, and /classes allows from IP of tong also.

Finally I turned on browsing.

Then (as if that weren't enough) I set the printer service in inetd configuration to active. And I have inetd running.

Is there something else I have to do?

Nothing was detected.Now on the client, I go to yast|printer. I let it autodetect printers. So I go to "Configure..." and select "Show more connection types..."

Now what?

If I click "LPD filtering and forwarding queue" then lookup LPD servers, it finds the IP of the server. Things are looking hopeful. I type in "lp" for "Name of the remote queue" and click the "Test remote LPD access" button. It says the printer server is accessible.

I put in "lp" as the "Name for printing," and nothing for "Description of printer" and nothing for "Location of printer" as there is already the location in the previous "Connection" window. (We are now in the "Queue name" window. If I proceed to set up a printer driver and test printing, nothing comes out. If I put in a description and the of ting in the "Queue name" window, still nothing comes out.

This isn't working.

Rather than get to the point of pulling my hair, I figured I'd come here and see if you fine folks could tell me if there is something obviously wrong. Or something not so obvious.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen