Re: [SLE] Work??
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:26:24 -0800

->after seeing several posts about Crossover I visited their web site
->but am still a bit confused. what is the difference between the
->package and the plugin? Am I correct in thinking that Crossover is
->not an Office alternative but a tweaked Wine that lets the real
->M$ Office work in Linux?

There are 2 products that Codeweavers markets.

The first is the CrossOver plugin pkg which is indeed a very tweeked
version of wine with their installer for installing Windows browser
plugins and software such as Quicktime.

The second is CrossOver Office which lets you install Microsoft Office,
Quicken and quite a few other Windows programs. Again this is also a
tweeked version of wine with their installer and other such addons.

Neither of these are simply wine, but wine + their addons. I have read
that they are going to be merging these two products into one end all be
all wine pkgs with many tools and addons for helping Win32 code work
under Linux and I've also heard it will be working under FreeBSD as
well.

That's about the size of what I know. :)

--
Ben Rosenberg ---===---===---===--- mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
Tell me what you believe..