Re: [SLE] Re: Fwd: HELP! Uninstalled CUPS and can't boot into KDE
  • From: "Joe & Sesil Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 09:05:57 +0800
On 11/07/2002 12:32 AM, Tom Nielsen wrote:

Last night I I started yast (not 2 but yast, I'm running 8.0...or at
least the terminal version of yast) and removed lprng and installed
cups. I then rebooted. No luck. I then ran the command xhost + (thanks
to the person that recommended that) and was finally able to get into
YAST2. I couldn't find any dependency problems and wasn't able to figure
out how to get KDE back. (BTW, last night I installed cups from the 8.0
CD. Before the "incident" I upgraded cups with Synaptic). Thinking
Synaptic might find the problem, I ran it and updated the cups packages.
I then rebooted.
No luck. Still getting FVWM (or whatever it is).

At this point I'm really stuck! I'm at work now and will try anything
any one recommends, but I will have to do it later tonight (California
time) when I get home...or maybe at lunch.

I could imagine what happened, with strict dependency checking. What would happen if you did the inverse, i.e. apt-get -i cups, from a terminal? I would assume it would have the same dependency checking and maybe save you the trouble of this depends on that, which depends on the other, etc.

--
Joe & Sesil Morris
New Tribes Mission