Re: [SLE] Apache and SuSE config
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 21:41:59 +0200
* Dominic Maraglia; <dominic.maraglia@xxxxxxxxxx> on 06 Nov, 2002 wrote:
Hello,

I am running 8.1 to run several virtual domains (apache 1.3). I have run quite a few apache servers before, but I am used to manually managing the httpd.conf file. I am giving SuSE config a try -- seems like a decent tool to manage certain variables for apache. I have a quick question about the httpd.conf files:

SuSE's documentation states that, if using SuSEconfig, one should not manually edit httpd.conf, as this will cause a failure when running md5check sums. Fair enough. So then, is it safe/acceptable to manually edit the httpd.conf.SuSEconfig?

No it would not make a difference since it will not be parsed. On the
other hand you can have couple of options

a) create your config files which include just the changes you want and
then mention these config files in the /etc/sysconfig/apache

HTTPD_CONF_INCLUDE_FILES="/etc/httpd/mirrors.conf"

and then run SuSEconfig --module apache

b)Your second option is editing the /etc/init.d/apache file and changing
the configuration it parses ( point it to your own)

Of the above two I would go with the first one

For example, I want to run my apache server in inted mode -- normally, I would set this in httpd.conf; now I set this in httpd.conf.SuSEconfig?

I would not do it this way but if you really want to have it run by
inetd then
1) insserv -r /etc/init.d/apache This will remove the start and stop symlinks in various runlevels

2) edit your inetd.con or xinetd.conf and you are all set

--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer