Re: [SLE] library dependency?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:44:55 +0100
On Wednesday 06 November 2002 10.46, John Pettigrew wrote:
> In a previous message, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> > If this fresh jpilot RPM lists libcrypto.so.0 as needed, it has been
> > compiled on a system where libcrypto.so points to the wrong library!
> > Creating random symlinks won't cure the root cause.
>
> OK, that's great info, thanks. But, the rpm was compiled on my system
> (using checkinstall) - SuSE 8.1. So, what do I need to do to stop this
> complaint?

It seems insane to use major, minor *and* revision number as soname. Even a
minor bugfix update would require a lot of rebuilding, or to keep the entire
version number intact. That doesn't seem like a good use of version numbers.

In any case, Quick fix: rebuild SuSE's openssl, and edit openssl.spec to add
libcrypto.so.0 on the "Provides" line. That should make rpms dependency
checker shut up. If you like I've built rpms for 8.1 since I had the same
problem with ymessenger.rpm.

Note that it's rpm that's complaining, not the dynamic linker.

< Previous Next >