Re: [SLE] somebody said Linux was more stable?
  • From: steve <steve@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:41:29 -0500
> On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 10:45, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> > Well my system freezes with two programs. If I want to find
> > a file on my system I am most often to lazy to remember how
> > to grep and I do a find in my KDE on Suse 8.0.
> > After some files are returned a freeze of my system is a
> > sure thing. Same when I use the file find command in
> > midnight commander. Three finger salute and any other
> > keyboard input has no effect. A reset is the only way out.
> > Cannot remember having such a freezing of the screen with
> > any other program.
> >
> > Could it be that these find utils are using lots of memory?
> > I have 320 mb memory and have excluded via Lilo the last
> > twenty mb because they are faulty. Could it be that find
> > does not respect this exclusion?
> > Any other reasons?

You should try to do a Ctrl Alt F1 and see if you can get to a shell
prompt. Sometimes X locks up due to an error in your desktop
manager or program.

If you get a shell prompt you can run "ps afx" or top to see which
the offending cpu eater is and kill it.
--

Steve
HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you more,

< Previous Next >