Re: [SLE] Installing Software
  • From: MindBender <ephlodur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:22:27 -0800 (PST)
You have probably used the default installation from
SuSE.. "man make" may not be installed...
you can type at a prompt "whereis make" if the path is
not return then you should go head and install
gcc,make,binutils etc. to be able to compile and
install you new application...first try to see if a
rpm exist for that application if not compile it your
self it's not that hard.... read the README & INSTALL
files

Good luck.

--- Salman Khilji <skhilji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'm very new to Linux. I have SuSE 8.0 on my
> computer now.
> >
> > I wanted to install some software I downloaded off
> the 'net.
> >
> > According to the instructions, I'm supposed to
> gunzip and tar the files.
> > Then perform:
> >
> > ./configure
> > make
> >
> > Unfortunately, I get an error with 'make'. I
> tried man make, but no
> > entries.
> >
> > Is there another way to install software in SuSE?
> >
> > Mark
>

> For newbies, I don't recommend installing from
> sources. If you can spend $40
> on the distro, that would be nice. Then all you
> have to do is to use yast
> and install the pre-built sofware.
>
> NOTE: I am not trying to sell you anything---The
> thing is for newbies, there
> is a lot to learn, so the CDs or (DVD in the
> Professional Edition) really
> help. If you don't want to spend $$$, you can
> download the ISOs and burn
> your own CDs, but please don't ask me what an ISO is
> and how to burn them.
>
> Salman

=====
(o o)
email : ephlodur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What we need is Awareness we can't get carelless.