Why am I afraid to boot my 8.0?
First, the problem. Due to a glitch/powersurge/young-un kicking the
case (I'm not sure which) I lost my ability to go into X.

To fix, I re-installed X from the SuSE 8.0 CD. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Didn't work. I retried with a *new* install (but not wiping the
drive--I have too much stuff in there, including OOffice). This brought
me to the famous graphical login--which froze.

I reinstalled the NVidia drivers from the CD (update), which allowed me
to login from the graphical login, but my graphics are now slow. I
re-install the new NVidia drivers (which always worked before), but,
again, frozen graphical login. Lather, rinse, repeat. Tweaked with new
NVidia drivers AND turned off (I thought) the graphical login (I do NOT
like it, never have, and yast2 didn't give me a choice...).

System was fine until the next day when I turned the machine on and it
FROZE AT THE GRAPHICAL LOGIN THAT I HAD TURNED OFF!!! To fix, I had to
repeat the above process--but I am NOT reinstalling the new NVidia
drivers until I can guarentee that the graphical login is shut off.

So, now, the questions.

1. Is there a key-press sequence I can use to bypass/turn-off the
graphical login before it comes up?

2. Am I missing anything in the settings to cause these lock-ups? The
new NVidia drivers worked well for 3 months but now are costing me *way*
too much time.

3. </small rant on/> Is there any way I can get my Yast1 back? Yast2,
while slick and pretty, doesn't allow me to abort to a prompt (to fix
problems) and hides too many things. </small rant off/>

4. Finally, what could I have done to streamline this process
initially? The initial problem seemed to be in a /tmp/lock* file--could
I have just deleted the /tmp directory?

Thanx.