Re: [SLE] Office Jet and CUPS
  • From: Tim Hanson <tjhanson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:03:04 -0800
David returned my mail and gave me the real fix. I hope someone from SuSE is
reading this, because this does the trick, and needs to go in in the db until it
can be made part of the online update.

Here's his response:

Tim Hanson wrote:

> I'm having a hard time getting my HP usb Office Jet to print under CUPS. I'm
> running SuSE 8.1 Prof.

Hi, Tim. I assume you're using the hp-officeJet-0.90 package provided
with SuSE 8.1, correct?

> I get to the point where I can talk to talk to it, copy the display, the
> set the time, etc. I put lines in my /etc/init.d/cups script to load
> /usr/sbin/ptal-init before CUPS. I stopped cups, started ptal-init, then
> restarted cups.

So far, so good.

> At this point I should see the spooler as one of the choices in the cups
> connection list, /usr/sbin/ptal-cups as one of the printer options, or
> else give me another way to write to the spooler.

You should see a "ptal" line that includes the PTAL device name of your
device (probably something like "mlc:usb:OfficeJet_K80"). If that's not
there, then look in /usr/lib/cups/backend, and make sure there's a file
or (preferably) a symlink named "ptal" in there. If not, this would be
a bug in the SuSE package for not setting this up for you. You can run
"ln -s /usr/sbin/ptal-cups /usr/lib/cups/backend/ptal" to fix this. Then
restart CUPS again and try again.

> When I use /dev/usb1 as the
> destination, the job disappears, which I already know about and expect.

Correct, printing directly to the device over USB usually won't work,
unless you're running kernel 2.4.19 or later or you install the printer.c
update from http://hpoj.sf.net/download.shtml. (But that will cause
problems with scanning.)

> Does anyone know how to make this work?

See above, and let me know if the symlink is missing and creating it
fixes the problem, so I can add a note about it to the SuSE section at
http://hpoj.sf.net/download.shtml.

> I can make the printer work using the
> parallel port, but it won't scan that way, and printing only is not why
> I spent the extra money on a K80.

You can scan over the parallel port if you set the device up via hpoj
and print through the "ptal" backend (once you get that working) instead
of to /dev/lp0. However, you'll get better performance out of USB.

David

--
Some programming languages manage to absorb change but withstand
progress.