Why does SUSE 8.0 forgets everything ?
  • From: Riccardo Ferraro <ricferr@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 17:35:11 +0000
I have SUSE 8.0 (installed from DVD) on an Athlon 1600 xp,
256 MB RAM, Matrox G550.
My problem is that SUSE seems to forget some configuration
topics when I logout then login again, and this does not happen
always, examples:
1) As root, (KDE) I change the 4 desktop wallpapers. If I logout,then login,
the system reverts to the default wallpapers. This does NOT happen when I
work as simple user (my changes remain effective)

2) I have installed with YAST2 my Epson 1660 Scanner. It works fine.
I have changed the required parameters to make it work for normal
users. It works. Then, as usual not always, but SOMETIMES, it says
that it cannot find any SANE devices.
I have to login as root and re-install the Scanner. Then it works again.
Again SOMETIMES it works as root, then I logout and login as normal
user, and the Scanner "disappears".
I do not want to write more now, but there are some other configuration topics
which seem to be "forgotten" between a logout and the next login. Any idea ?
Thanx, Riccardo, Italy.

< Previous Next >