Character sets, etc.
  • From: Patrick <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 09:38:35 -0500
Hi all,

I have a quandry that I am hoping someone here can answer for me. While
chatting in KSirc last evening, I started playing with getting my
"compose" key working so that I could type the special characters, like
¿, ë, é, ö, 98°, etc. Well, everything seems to work ok with all the
special characters except for the Euro sign. I get displayed while
typing, a small circle with 4 spikes coming out of it, but it displays
correctly when being viewed by someone in Europe I might be chatting
with and also when I view a mail from anyone, including myself in
kmail. What I don't understand is why, when I am typing or using any
of the chat programs that it displays as the circle with spikes?

I type this ¤ ¤ ¤ and see not a euro, but a spikey little circle! So
where does one go now to change the character set group. I think my
system is set for iso8859-1, which seems to include the euro, but I am
guessing that most european users are using the iso8859-15 group which
is the extended set with the euro. Someone can explain, yes, no?

Thanks
Patrick
Registered Linux User #225206