Re: [SLE] SuSE opens Linux desktop for Windows
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 05:37:16 +0100
On Saturday 02 November 2002 04.52, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> [Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:39:31 +0100]:
> >You could use the X server for more than a game couldn't you?
>
> Yeah, and have a Xserver that'll possibly break when I switch to another
> kernel or other libraries. No thanks!

As opposed to an X server that breaks without doing anything at all?

> >but they have traditionally given the linux community outstanding
> >support.
>
> What, please, do you call outstanding support?

Fixing bugs as they appear. Giving the linux community the same 3D
capabilities that the windows drivers have. Producing linux drivers at the
same time as windows drivers fot new graphics cards.

> I don't want to recall
> the troubles I had with the Nvidia drivers.

I haven't had any. I have had real problems with ATI cards though. I don't
think it's a binary/open source issue.

> And looking at the trouble,
> binary only drivers have caused for SuSE, I've decided to plainly refuse
> to run binary only drivers if I can avoid it.

Your choice, of course.

> Binary only apps I can live with (grudgingly), but bo drivers are just
> simply BAD. Even some core XFree86 developers agree that it was a bad
> idea to introduce the modular design,

X is designed?

> given the way vendors have abused
> it to create bo xfree modules.

Round objects!

There are two types of vendors in this world. Those who release specs to
produce open source drivers, and those who don't. Linux has to support both
if 'regular' windows users are to be won over. The fact that the kernel
*still* doesn't have a stable ABI to support vendor provided modules on CDs
shipped with the hardware is to my mind the biggest disgrace in the kernel
design.

I have no ideological reasons for using linux, I use it because it's better
than windows, but I really want my hardware to work. Whether it's by binary
only drivers or with open source drivers, I really don't care as long as it
works.

Anders