Re: [SLE] SuSE opens Linux desktop for Windows -- It takes a community effort
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:56:42 -0800
* Johnathan Bailes (johnathan.bailes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [021101 04:21]:
->
->The failure of OS/2 which I worked on for a time as well was due first
->to bad marketing and a failure to produce applications in native format
->at all. IBM's Office suite was about the only commercial native app I
->even remember. The ad campaign gave no clue about what Warp could
->really do and why anyone should buy it. I swear sometimes the best way
->to make a software project fail is to give to IBM. Lotus Notes and its
->success is the only example I can think of where IBM from a business
->sense got it right in terms of placing the product to corporate
->america. Plus, at that time, people in corporate IT were still more
->afraid of IBM than they were MS.

Don't forget one of the biggest reasons for OS/2 failure. Microsoft
strongarmed them into not supporting and not advertizing OS/2 and Lotus
for one year after Windows 95/Office 95 was released. If they didn't do
this then they would be raped on the cost for these pieces of software.
There were a great many commerical applications for OS/2 but they just
didn't get much limelight. The only reason Microsoft put out Windows
3.1.1 was to break compatiblity with Win-OS/2. :)

The above was read into evidence at the 1998 Anti-Trust trial. So I
would say that the 800lb guerilla twisted the arm of the 400lb guerilla.

--
Ben Rosenberg ---===---===---===--- mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
Tell me what you believe..

< Previous Next >