Re: [SLE] 8.1 update news
  • From: "James P. Bennett" <jbennett@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:02:56 -0500 (EST)
A couple of weeks ago I chose to update an existing system from 7.3 to
8.1. The machine in question is a 2-processor, all-scsi Dell. In the
past, I've had problems.

I recommend that those wishing to update choose "update existing
programs only," then manually go through alternative programs to
decide which to include. That takes additional time, but appears
fool-proof.

The installation went fairly smoothly, but of course I needed to refer
to backups of old configuration files. Sax correctly identified
my monitor but messed up its settings. Other problems are
attributable to issues with the applications software, so SuSE did an
excellent job.

One curiousity. Yast thought I had "7.1" installed, but it was 7.3 with
many updates since. And now it thinks I have verion "?" installed.
Where is it picking up this info?

jim bennett

< Previous Next >