Re: [SLE] CUPS printer failed completely, almost, after updates via YOU
  • From: zentara <zentara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 07:19:28 -0500
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:13:07 -0600
Richard <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I use an HP840C via USB.
>
>Following yast printer reinstall, at the dialog for USB printer connection I
>click TEST PRINTER CONNECTION and it outputsHello World to the printer.
>At the next dialog I select the printer name=lp with make and model = HP84C.
>At the next Configuration dialog I have selected the HPijs, cdj500 , color
>HPijs, color 300 cdj880, and color 300 cdj550 drivers.
>I have clicked the 'Test Grapical Printers" and Test Text Printers. NOTHING!
>
>When CUPS was working I had selected the monochrome for lp and color hpijs
>drivers. Now it is dead.

When you add printers, you need to use a different printer name.
Like
lp = lp0 = grayscale 300 dpi draft
lp1 = grayscale 600 dpi
lp2 = color 300 dpi draft

etc
etc.

Also check /etc/cups/printer.conf and make sure that your chosen
printer has a STATE = IDLE ACCEPTING=yes.

When a failure occurs on a printer, like if you turn off power during
a print, the file halts the printer by adjusting the above variables.
You need to manually fix it sometimes.

There are a couple of nice gtk apps for cups,
gtklp and gtklpq

--
use Perl; #powerful programmable prestidigitation