Re: [SLE] Attn PowerEdge users: 8.1 updates
  • From: JW <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:30:25 -0600

On Thursday 31 October 2002 16:14, Stuart Powell wrote:
> Hello, JW.
>
> Where did you hear this nonsense ?

- From SuSE:

http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/fhassel_lilo_grub.html

Procedure
You CANNOT use the boot manager GRUB in SuSE Linux 8.1 if your ROOT partition
is installed on a RAID SYSTEM (including Software Raid or LVM).

_and besides_, I found out the 'professional' way - by trying it ;-)

(Additionally, I thyink either a tech from SuSE or someone on this list
confirmed that fact)

I cannot find anything in the grub documentation about it either way. The work
"raid" does not exist in GRUB's vocabulary, apparently.

> I just installed 8.1 Pro on a
> server with a pair of IBM ServeRAID cards, and grub boots off them just
> fine.
>
> Stuart.

Ok, so you're a genie and it works for you. That's good! Be happy.

Anyway, the information I provided for the common good does _not_ hurt anyone!
I simply siad you _might_ find, as I did, that your system won't boot. If
you DIDN'T find that your system won't boot, I wasn't talking to you.

(In case you still don't understand, I was only talkihg to people who are
having trouble booting 8.1. If your system works ok, ignore me. Definately
don't complain that I'm trying to pass along helpful information)

JW

  • No further messages