Re: [SLE] Lilo warning: Int 0x13Function 8
  • From: Philipp Thomas <pth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:57:23 +0200
Richard <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [ Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:55:31 -0500]:

>Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
>head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80

>Will anyone tell me the answer or at least point me to something that will
>give the answer??

This is nothing to worry about. These two BIOS functions are *bound*
to give differing geometries for large discs.

Function 8 is the original function to get the drive geometry. As
always in the history of the PC, the format choosen to represent
geometry data can't represent todays large disks. That's why function
0x48 was introduced which returns data in format suitable for todays
large disks.

It is even documented that the data returned by the two functions will
not match for disks beyond a certain size.

So, all in all, there is no inconsistency and probably only the
maintainer of lilo knows why lilo warns in this case.

Philipp

PS For a more detailed documentation read Ralph Browns interrupt list,
available from the net.

--
Philipp Thomas work: pthomas@xxxxxxx
Development SuSE Linux AG private: pth@xxxxxxxxx