Re: [SLE] Lilo warning: Int 0x13Function 8
  • From: John Lamb <J.D.Lamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:35:08 +0100
Richard wrote:
Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80 Will anyone tell me the answer or at least point me to something that will give the answer??

I had a similar problem in April. AFAIK the warning is not serious, but just indicates the BIOS is old. Mine was 1996 and I had some trouble setting a CHS geometry that would make it accept a 40GB disk.

You can get rid of the message by putting nowarn in /etc/lilo.conf.

nowarn
boot = /dev/hda

I think the real problem was with kdm, which used lilo -q to give reboot options. Without nowarn, you could shut down but not reboot from kdm.
JDL