Re: [SLE] vsftpd can't login
  • From: steve <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:47:20 +0200
On Thursday 03 October 2002 08:51, steve wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 23:21, Christopher Mahmood wrote:
> > * steve (fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx) [021002 12:22]:
> > > 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,2,35,134)
> > > Cannot create a data connection: No route to host
> >
> > That's a message from the client. If it's really doing passive mode
> > it's trying to connect to the high port that the server told it to
> > for the data connection. For some reason it can't...either it's not
> > doing passive and trying to open a port for the server to connect
> > back to or you've got some kind of general networking/firewall
> > problem. I'd try another client such as the one from lukemftp.

I've used gFTP for years without any problem. Here is the documentation for my
error from /usr/share/doc/

Q: When gFTP tries to get the remote directory listing, I get an error that
says: Cannot create a data connection: Connection refused

A: Go under FTP->Options and turn off passive file transfers. Instead of
sending the PASV command to open up the data connection on the server side,
the data connection will be opened up on the client side, and the PORT
command will be sent to the server instead.

I did that but still no connection. Iglooftp (and cuteftp under windows)
doesn't connect either so it must be something to do with my firewall or
permissions here on the server. Can anyone help me further?

THanks, Steve.