What to backup? (was Re: [SLE] 8.1 up and running ....)
  • From: Tony Bloomfield <tonyb.lx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:47:33 +0000
On Thursday 03 October 2002 07:10, Derek Fountain wrote:
> Er, not sure what you mean by "config info". I ran the upgrade from the CD
> by following my nose sort of thing, and when it had finished I switched to
> root and was told I had about 20 emails.

My mistake, Derek, I assumed you meant that you'd had email advice from other
users.

1. On a related topic, what advice would you all give a newbie about which
files to backup before doing an update? I guess on my simple (single-user
desktop) system, just going from 8.0 to 8.1 is not going to be a major
problem.

But in general, what should I back up? My /home directory obviously. The 8.1
Admin Guide (page 30) also suggest /etc (all of it?), and that I should
'review' files in /var/lib. Review how?

2. I want to backup to CD, not just before upgrading, but on a regular basis.
Any ideas on good programs for doing 'since saves' (i.e. save selected files
which have changed since the last save)?

All help gratefully received,

Cheers,
TonyB