Re: [SLE] md5 does not work
  • From: Praise <praisetazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:38:16 +0200
Alle 22:51, lunedì 30 settembre 2002, Susan Buczak ha scritto:
> Christopher, no hurt intended truly because it's not your fault, but the
> very first thing i did was follow your directions to the tee.
>
> They didn't work, so I went back into the pam docs and read some more,
> it says in there more stuff than you mentioned so I took care of that also.
>
> It's still crypt.

I have not been following this thread closely. I can say that I have always
used md5 passwords without any problem since Suse 7.0
Just 2 seconds to set it up.

> This is version 8 what version are you on? this one is different i hear,
> yast is a big part of it not just a little config item, a big config
> item. and if it doesn't work properly it's a big problem.

It works properly for me. Yast & Yast2 have never been giving any problem to
me. And I am not a guru or a genious.

> all the lit, it tells you how to do stuff, but when you do it, nothing
> changes. yast is very reluctant to let go or something.
>
> maybe I should try rebooting it or something... I have read massive
> amounts of info about this stuff over the past several months, i have a
> pretty good idea of what i'm doing. It takes me about 10 minutes on a
> Redhat system to successfully make the security adjustments that are now
> in their 48th hour of attempt on a suse system. not really cool Chris.

I really do not think you have to reboot at all. I didnt and it worked when I
switched for the first time from old 8 chars passwords to the new md5
passphrases... I Just changed all my password and everything went very well.

By the way, if you are not able to work with suse, why bother? Use redhat and
live well! I hope there is nobody with a gun to oblige you to use suse:-)

Praise