Re: [SLE] SuSe Firewalling and protecting against hackers
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:24:23 +0300
* PUTH CHAN CHOTH; <choth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 02 Oct, 2002 wrote:
The firewall script needs to know the external (internet) interface!

Define the FW_DEV_WORLD variable ( there is no commenting out in the
SuSEfirewall script you either use the choices "yes" or "no" or define
the interfaces ie "eth0" "ppp0" and write the services "25" or "smtp"

SuSEfirewall: clearing rules now ... done

My eth1 is connected to the Internet and eth0 is connected to the LAN. I would
like to configure my firewall and can let the LAN be able to use Squid on port
3128, WWW:80, SMTP:25, POP3:110, SSH:22 and let the outsider to be able to access
only WWW:80, SMTP:25.

# 1.)
# Should the Firewall be started?
#
# This setting is done in /etc/rc.config (START_FW="yes")
#################
#START_FW="yes" I have already configured START_FW="yes" in /etc/rc.config so I
commented this out

START_FW="yes

# 2.)
#
#FW_DEV_WORLD=""
#######################

why do you comment it out the script has to read this variable

FW_DEV_WORLD="eth1"

# 3.)
# Which is the interface that points to the internal network?
#
# Enter all the network devices here which are trusted.
# If you are not connected to a trusted network (e.g. you have just a
# dialup) leave this empty.
#
# Choice: leave empty or any number of devices, seperated by a space
# e.g. "tr0", "eth0 eth1" or ""
#
FW_DEV_INT=""

why do you comment it out the script has to read this variable

FW_DEV_INT="eth0"

--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer