Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.1 Pro which filesystem to use ?
  • From: Clayton Cornell <c.cornell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 06:20:52 +0200
[snip]
> mobo with a Promise Ultra-66 controller and 256Mb RAM. It has 5 HDs drives
> of various sizes. Currently these are all formatted using ext2.
>
> When I get the inevitable power cut and my machine reboots having not been
> shut down properly , it can take forever to fsck all these drives

[snip]
> read the manual and am still unsure which would be the best option,
> ReiserFS, XFS, ext3 or JFS. They all seem to have pros and cons but I
> cannot decide which is the best for me.

[snippity snip]
> I need a file system to be robust and not lose any data due to unexpected
> power cuts, I also need it to be reasonably quick and I'd like the machine

I have similar issues where my system would loose power and then spend forever
doing the fsck thing. I started using Reiser and have been using it for
about a year now (I think it's been that long). Over that time there have
been several power losses, and many times I have hit the reset button, and
not once have I had a problem with the Linux drives or with lost data. I
find the filesystem fast enough that I don't have reason to grumble about
it... in fact I don't notice any speed issues at all. Recovery from a messy
restart is fast and painless.

I've never tried ext3, XFS, or JFS - although I had planned too. Reiser
worked too good for me.

C.