Re: [SLE] set system time ???
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 01:38:52 +0200 (CEST)

Answer inline, text trimmed.

El 02.10.01 a las 09:23, Michael D. Schleif escribió:

> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:23:04 -0500
> From: Michael D. Schleif <mds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: suse-linux-e List <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [SLE] set system time ???

> > Did you remember to close the sesion and login again? For a change in
> > locale you need that. I think you might even need a reboot, if the hwclock
> > is changed, but I'm not sure.
>
> No, I didn't know that is required. However, I didn't change tz;
> rather, I changed the difference between hardware and system clocks.

>From my tests, it seems not to be necesary; but I think it was necesary a
year or so ago, last time I tinkered with this.

By the way, my version is 7.3 prof; I don't remember yours :-?

> > Sure, the internal clock keeps the time in UTC, but programs will get the
> > correct local time when they ask for it. That is the recomended way, but
> > you may set everything to the local time (hw clock included), if you like.
>
> Yes, I know this. What I do *not* know is the SuSE way to manage this.

It seems to be the file /etc/localtime that is changed as necesary, and
the boot script.

> Clearly, we are either working on entirely different systems, or my
> system is missing critical items:

Could be... what version do you have?

> # grep -i hwclock `find /etc/init.d ! -type d`
> /etc/init.d/boot: HWCLOCK_ACCESS=no
> /etc/init.d/boot:if test "$HWCLOCK_ACCESS" != "no" ; then
> /etc/init.d/boot:CLOCKCMD=hwclock
> /etc/init.d/boot: *MTX\ Plus*) CLOCKCMD="hwclock --mtxplus
> --directisa" ;;
> /etc/init.d/boot: *PReP\ Dual\ MTX*) CLOCKCMD="hwclock
> --mtxplus --directisa" ;;
>

> In fact, hwclock on this system -- from which I grep'ed -- does not
> include the --mtxplus option ;<

Mine neither. And it is not on my boot file.

> What is wrong with this system?

What suse version do you have? And I suppose you have a PC, not something
more strange, no? Those options could be for a different hardware.

I could say more, perhaps, by looking at a bigger section of the boot
file. But that only has effect when booting up, not when changing the time
on a running system.

> What do you think?

You could try to restore the boot file (it comes from aaa_base.rpm). Look
for a file with a .rpmsave extension, like boot.rpmsave or boot.rpmnew or
something similar. Read mails mailed to root when system was installed.

The timezone information is copied to /etc/locatime from files like
"/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid". Perhaps the one you chose does not
exist or is bad. Those files come from timezone.rpm

Another question. I think you said that the "date" command was working
correctly, giving local time when asked, or utc with the -u switch, like:

cer@nimrodel:~> date
Wed Oct 2 01:35:42 CEST 2002
cer@nimrodel:~> date -u
Tue Oct 1 23:35:45 UTC 2002

If that is so, what is exactly wrong in your system? I mean: which command
gives the worng time?

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson