Re: [SLE] md5 does not work
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 02:39:21 +0200
On Monday 30 September 2002 22.25, Susan Buczak wrote:
> md5 does not work. I followed all the pam directions. I followed all the
> Yast directions.
>
> it doesn't work.

It works, you don't!
--Basil Fawlty

> so who owns this box me or the neighbor? honestly this is utterly
> ridiculous. access.conf refuses to work. md5 refuses to work. this box
> cannot be secured to current standards without a ton and a half of
> headcaches.

If by current standards you mean Red Hat then you're perfectly right. God
forbid SuSE should ever get something like Lion

Apart from that you may concider joining security forums such as
suse-security@xxxxxxxx (to join, send a mail to
suse-security-subscribe@xxxxxxxx)

> it's no wonder my firewall been taking a pounding all day, since I
> joined this list yesterday I have the most unbelievable number of hits
> on target ports.

Which ports would those be? I'm online 24/7 and the biggest number of hits are
on 1433 (MS SQL Server). A little on 137 (MS Net BIOS). I see very little
unix-specific activity.

> the suse ain't online guys. it probably never will be.

Your loss

//Anders