Re: Dvorak keyboard & scroll wheel in SuSE 8.0
  • From: Steve Doonan <xscd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:30:26 -0600
Difficulties with the Dvorak keyboard layout and scroll-wheel
mouse, SuSE 8.0
---

I installed SuSE 8.0 today, and although I chose English as my
preferred language I chose the now-familiar Dvorak keyboard
layout for my 104-key Keytronic PS/2 keyboard.

The root password and user passwords I chose did not allow me to
login after the installation because, as I later found out, the
capital letters in my passwords were not capitalized by the
right SHIFT key (the left SHIFT key capitalized characters
correctly). Instead they were left lowercase.

I reinstalled SuSE before I discovered the fact above.

After reinstallation (with a simple and fortunately all lowercase
alphabetical-only password) the Dvorak keyboard worked as I
expected and am used to in a virtual terminal (CTL-ALT-F1), but
the KDM graphical login was still set to the standard QWERTY
English keyboard layout.

After logging into a KDE session I opened the Control Panel and
enabled Keyboard Layouts and chose the Dvorak. When I logged out
of KDE the KDM login manager was still set to QWERTY rather than
Dvorak, although after I logged into a KDE session I was using
the familiar Dvorak layout. Restarting X did not change this
situation.

The only way I have been able to cause a proper Dvorak keyboard
layout to function in both the virtual terminals and in
X-Windows is to manually edit /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "keyboard"
Identifier "Keyboard[0]"
Option "Protocol" "Standard"
Option "XkbKeyCodes" "xfree86"
Option "XkbLayout" "dvorak"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
EndSection

("XkbLayout" "dvorak" is the only line I changed)

Likewise, I could find no other way to enable the scroll wheel on
my Logitech "TrackMan Wheel" USB mouse (an optical trackball
with two buttons and a scroll wheel between them that also acts
as a third button) except to alter /etc/X11/XF86Config as
follows:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "Mouse[1]"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
Option "Name" "AutoDetected"
Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
Option "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

("Device" "/dev/input/mice", "Emulate3Buttons" "off", "Buttons"
"5" and "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" are the lines I added or changed)

---
Steve Doonan
Portales, NM US