Re: [SLE] problems with KVM switches.. losing mouse control on 8.0
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:40:39 +0200
* Jon San Juan <j_sanjuan@xxxxxxxxx> (Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 11:28:35PM -0700)
> I am using a multiple servers with a KVM switch and I find that I lose
> control of my mouse as I return back to the SUSE 8.0 KDE. Are any you
> experiencing the same thing. I have tried other mice and different KVM
> switches.

> -I am using a Belkin KVM switch with hot key functionality for changing
> monitors.
> -I am using PS/2 mice

> The only way I can stablize the mouse is if I return to YAST 2 and try to
> re-configure the mouse when it is a problem... Otherwise I have been
> rebooting to get the mouse stability.

sounds more like a PS/2 port problem than a mouse problem.

There is a power issue with PS/2 mice
(you cannot hotplug PS/2 mice)
if you have a bad KVM it will look to the machine you're connecting to as
if you are hot-plugging ps/2 mice, which is bad.

Is your KVM switch build for PS/2, or is it serial, and do you use a
serial->ps/2 converter.
If it's the latter, than you have found your problem.

Alternatively, try using a PS2->serial converter to plug your PS/2 cable
(from the KVM) into the serial port of your box (and tell it to use
/dev/ttyS0 iso /dev/psaux

Gerhard, <@jasongeo.com> == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
__O If your watch is wound, wound to run, it will
=`\<, If your time is due, due to come, it will