Re: [SLE] 7.2 -> 8 update problem
  • From: "James P. Bennett" <jbennett@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:00:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:02:01 +0200

> GodzillaEatsSpam.rpm from the web, he or she will usually find it to be
> non-relocatable, won't (or can't) go beyond installation defaults to take
> the trouble of moving to /usr/local.

Then I suggest using rpm2cpio and manually installing the software. Or finding
an LSB-compliant RPM.

Yes, one should do that. But it is unenforceable.

> Am I wrong in thinking that, when the upgrade encounters
> /usr/bin/GodzillaEatsSpam, it (conceptually) asks:
>
> 0. Am I working interactively? y/n
> 1. Am I instructed to upgrade GodzillaEatsSpam? If yes, continue. If
> no... 2. ...Is GodzillaEatsSpam in the rpm database? If no, continue. If
> yes... 3. ...Am I about to annihilate files which GodzillaEatsSpam needs?
> If no, continue. If yes...
> 4. If I'm working interactively, warn user about imminent annihilation
> and ask instructions.

It could do that, but under the LSB it doesn't have to, and you shouldn't rely
on such functionality.

Anders

Good point: it doesn't have to. (And I don't rely upon it ;) But I
fear that whichever distribution can achieve painless upgrades first
will blow the others away. In that contest, the enormous variety of
applications which SuSE offers is actually a potential liability.

jim