Re: [SLE] Question from non-SuSE user
  • From: Michael Hasenstein <mha@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:34:04 -0700
michael norman wrote:

On Friday 26 April 2002 20:55, Michael Hasenstein wrote:

Mike wrote:

I've found YOU, and the install/delete package (from the installation
source) in YAST2. In Yast1, I could select install packages, and it
would ask for a location. I've searched high and low for this same
feature in Yast2 and have yet to find it. What am I missing?

use the yast2 module in section software called "change source of
installation". sounds obvious, almost? ;-)

When I do that and type in /home/michael/rpms it tells me there are no installation media can be found. Yast1 always finds it. Am I doing something wrong ? The directory is where I put downloaded rpms.

Okay, I thought you're talking about the installation cd's or ftp.suse.com as install. source for packages of the distribution. yast2 only works on a full install. tree incl. all those helper files that you find on cd, where yast(2) gets its ino from. It doesn't work for indiviudual packages.

look at http://sdb.suse.com/, there's an article for how to install packages in suse linux. I just found it when I checked for all articles for SL 8.0. Basically, use e.g. kpackage or just plain "rpm"...

Michael