Re: [SLE] 7.2 -> 8 update problem
  • From: "James P. Bennett" <jbennett@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:50:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:09:09 +0200

On Monday 29 April 2002 18:02, James P. Bennett wrote:
> Every user has customized her or his installation. Lots of rpm's
> for specialized applications install to /usr and not /usr/local.

Then the rpms are broken. The LSB clearly says that locally installed software
should go in /usr/local. That tree is guaranteed not to be touched by
upgrades. The upgrade procedure can do more or less what it likes to the rest
of the /usr tree.

Anders

A problem is that what's "locally installed" is not something that
any single vendor controls. If a user grabs the latest version of
GodzillaEatsSpam.rpm from the web, he or she will usually find it to be
non-relocatable, won't (or can't) go beyond installation defaults to take the
trouble of moving to /usr/local.

Surely a vendor is not responsible for upgrading what's in /usr/local.
I don't suggest that. But neither should installation of a new
release require deleting GodzillaEatsSpam if it's in /usr: tarring to
tape the fs, then doing clean install, then selectively untarring
takes forever.

Am I wrong in thinking that, when the upgrade encounters
/usr/bin/GodzillaEatsSpam, it (conceptually) asks:

0. Am I working interactively? y/n
1. Am I instructed to upgrade GodzillaEatsSpam? If yes, continue. If no...
2. ...Is GodzillaEatsSpam in the rpm database? If no, continue. If yes...
3. ...Am I about to annihilate files which GodzillaEatsSpam needs? If
no, continue. If yes...
4. If I'm working interactively, warn user about imminent annihilation
and ask instructions.

(My own effort to upgrade from 7.3 -> 8.0 didn't get that far, but
that's another set of issues.)

jim bennett